Monday, September 5, 2011

Mornings with Millet


With the constant supply of blackberries streaming through my kitchen these days, and a pile of cooked millet, the idea of Blackberry Millet Milkshake (or Smoothie) is not a big stretch.  Now that I am personally familiar with millet’s holding capacity, channeling its force as a food thickener weighs heavy on my mind. 

It doesn’t get any easier than this.  Into the blender place equal amounts of frozen blackberries and some of that prepared (now refrigerated) millet.  Thin this with a slightly greater amount of milk (or juice of choice), a dash of agave nectar or honey to taste, and blend until smooth.  The new Power Drink: A thick and F-I-L-L-I-N-G glass of creamy, berry goodness.

These days I’m thinking about ways to get more nutrition early in the day.  Since I am not an early eater,  I’m always on the lookout for easy, portable foods that hold well enough to enjoy later.  When I’m busy or out and about, it's handy to have tasty finger food that I can peck on when hunger hits.

I eye the slowly depleting container of cooked millet in the fridge and prepare for my next weekend challenge.   Still not ready to cave into the standard heavy hitting granola-type bars, I’d prefer something light, mild, satisfying ―yet compelling.   

I proceed, armed with the knowledge that millet plays well with others and is likely a considerate, compatible partner with fruit. The results:  Fruited Millet Morning Bars, charming, moist, under 100 calories, with character and charisma ― and just enough fruit to mingle nicely with the millet. 




Fruited Millet Morning Bars

Ingredients:
2 ½ cups cooked millet (see previous directions)
2 eggs
2 Tbsp honey
½ cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp lemon flavored cod liver oil, optional  (it was in the fridge and needed to be used)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small, ripe banana, smashed
1 apple, peeled and diced
½ cup each golden raisins and shredded coconut
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
½ cup oats

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, line a 9x13 pan with foil and spray it with oil.
Combine the eggs through the oats and blend well.  Add the cooked millet and stir to combine.  Spread into prepared pan and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the top and edges begin to color.
Remove to rack and allow to cool complete.  For easy cutting, chill until set.  Yield:  20 bars.

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails