Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mulligatawny, A Cold Remedy

A dark cloud loomed over my house this past week. Our warm pre-summer weather suddenly turned cool, overcast, and dreary - and somewhere along the way I picked up a nasty head cold. I was listless, miserable, and eating was a non-issue; instead, I forced myself to graze on odd leftovers and drink volumes of juice and water.

After a few days of lackluster picking, my appetite began to rebound and the idea of real food surfaced as a possibility. I knew I was on the mend when images of soup meekly emerged from the culinary corners of my mind.

Still not up to a full-on grocery store expedition, I elected to rummage through my pantry and refrigerator for some sort of inspiration. I wanted hefty flavors because my taste buds were still shot, and it had to be simple since I was not up to an intense kitchen session. It needed to be an easy, one shot endeavor: a filling and satisfying meal in a bowl.

I’ve heard it suggested that dairy does not help a cold, so I commenced making an old stand by, Mulligatawny Soup, with the option of omitting the cream or milk entirely. Ultimately, I elected to add a small amount of full strength low fat evaporated milk, as this thick, hearty soup seemed unfinished without it. I do not regret my decision - and for the record, the cold is gone.

Mulligatawny Soup
Enjoy this Indian curry soup topped with any number of flavorful accompaniments, including chutney

1/4 cup butter and/or vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1/4 cup rice
1 1/2 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. good quality curry powder
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup tart apple, peeled, diced
1/2 cup cooked or uncooked chicken, cut up
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/8 tsp. thyme
1/2 cup hot cream, evaporated milk or yogurt

Garnishes:
Peanuts, raisins, diced apple, yogurt, or trail mix, chutney

In a soup pot over medium heat, melt butter and/or oil and sauté vegetables until soft. Add rice and toss well. Stir in flour and curry and cook about 3 minutes to release the curry.

Slowly stir in stock and bring to a boil. Add the chopped apple, chicken and seasonings and simmer about 30 minutes.

Stir in cream, milk or yogurt and heat well, but do not boil. Garnish with condiments as desired, or pass individually. Serves 4~~

0 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails